Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Herb Garden and more about 'ditch lilies"...

My friend Mighty Mom wants to know why I made a remark about professional landscapers using "ditch lilies."   Hemerocallis fulva,  a species daylily native to Europe,  was introduced into the United States in the late 19th century as an ornamental and escaped into natural and disturbed areas throughout the United States.  When you say "daylily", people envision this orange daylily or the ubiquitous yellow Stella d'Oro.

 While I like ditch lilies and have them on my property, to use them in a professional setting, such as around office buildings,  is irresponsible.  Within three years those daylilies will need to be divided.  Unlike hybrid daylilies, the fulva will send out underground "shoots."  To say they are hard to dig and divide is an understatement.   A pickup truck with a winch would be my preferred method of removal.   Leave behind a teeny piece and you have a new daylily.  In addition, the surrounding area, which probably has landscape fabric, will be invaded by the daylilies.  Buh, bye nice landscape.  And, if you need more reasons, the foliage tends to look "ratty" after the bloom period is over.  

Also, many places on the web call them tiger lilies.  They are not tiger lilies, but a true hemeroccallis (daylily).  A tiger lily grows from a bulb.



The Herb Garden

What's going on in the herb garden?  Aside from the weeds, the herb garden is very busy.  The garden is round with two circle paths connected by intersecting paths, like spokes on a wheel.  That super tall stuff (over 5 feet) is tarragon. 

(Don't forget to enlarge the pictures so you can see my weed piles in all their glory.  I make piles and hubby runs around and picks them up.  Works for me!!)


Tons of oregano ...



 Let's go in...

(and yes, that is an old hunk of concrete and bicycle wheels in the center.  There is also an old Teflon fry pan hiding in the lemon balm.  Did you know Teflon turns bright blue when you stick it outside for awhile?)


 Mallow, cone flower, St. Johns wort, chives, mint, sage, lemon balm, lavender, lambs ear, daylilies, and iris all compete for room with the tarragon (the tarragon is winning.)  This year we'll be digging out abut 90% of the tarragon.   Not to fear - it will be back.  We do this about every three years. 

I plant my basil, cilantro, parsley, and fennel in the cutting and veggie garden areas since they need more water.



The lavender is ready to harvest. Some will be made into simple lavender wands, which I'll show you how to make), and the rest will be dried to be used for simple sachets. 



 I brought some to put in a deep lavender colored fluted vase...


and some for the kitchen windowsill, too...



 Time to head out and get some work done.

 Have a wonderful day...

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, Adrienne. The herb garden is wonderful. I love your lavender, especially that last photo. Nice job! I imagine that is a LOT of work, too. You are a wonderful gardener, that's for sure. Susan

MightyMom said...

So what's gonna happento my happy little bed that's 1/2 ditchlillies 1/2 good Shepard that I wanna add more colors of daylily to??