Friday, June 4, 2010

How much rain is too much?

There's an old saying "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."  Thinking last month that all my spring work would be finished very early this year, God laughed and sent rain.  How much rain?

This much rain.  Mushrooms on my new "lower patio." 




I did manage to get out yesterday and clean up my cutting garden.  Here it is June 4 and my seeds aren't even planted.  Sigh...

Dividing Bearded Iris

My iris have started to bloom and the rain is leaving little pock marks on the flowers.  They're still pretty, though.  Here's a hint for those of you who have lots of iris that may need to be divided.  I have quite a few hybrids that have sort of morphed together.  They started out in nice neat rows but something happened (like the head gardener making the rows too close together. Hmmmmmmmmm - wonder who that was?)  Division of iris takes place in the fall and often you can't remember which plant is which.  

I ran out between rain drops and shot some quick pictures of the iris.  I printed out the pictures and gave each one a number.  I put the corresponding number on a plant tag and attached it to the bottom of the flower stalk.  In the fall I will know which is which when I dig them up to divide.  

Here's a few of the quickie pictures I took ...




Have a wonderful weekend...


4 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Adrienne!

Happy to see your blog again. You've been busy! Still awaiting arrival of the scented evening stock seeds. Excited! Take care, Adrienne. Sincerely, Susan

Teri said...

I feel your pain! This May was the wettest in recorded history in TN. I'm barely started on my yard work.

MightyMom said...

Pretty. All my iris are the same. And they're competeing with the lilies on taking over my bed!!

Lola said...

Do your irises and lilies love to live in Florida? I'd love some gorgeous Orange lilies and blue irises here.