Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Scented Garden

This week we're going to explore how to have a wonderfully scented garden.

My garden is planted in such a way that I have non-stop wonderful smells all summer.  Right now the lilacs are blooming and we all know how wonderful they smell.   All my lilacs were starts that were dug up from empty fields (with permission).  I have about 150 bushes spread over 3 acres of gardens.  Our remaining 2 acres is grass fields.  

Lilacs by the tool shed...



Lilacs bordering the veggie garden which will be planted this week (rain permitting)...



Lilacs bordering the cutting garden which will be planted this week also...



Lilacs tucked here and there...


On the east lawn...


Back of the border in the area we call the "back yard"...


My favorites are the white.  They seem to have a stronger smell.  Tomorrow I'll tell you where all my white lilacs came from and why they mean so much to me.



What should you do first...

 Over the next week I'll be suggesting different plants to ensure your garden smell delicious for the entire summer.

The first thing you need to get is three or four packages of Evening Scented Stock seeds.  The first time I planted these was about 8 years ago.  It is an insignificant little plant with tiny flowers.  I planted the seeds here and there among my snapdragons and petunias and forgot all about them.  Upon returning home one night my hubby and I were assailed with the most heavenly scent by our back deck.  It smelled very much like Jasmine.  You guessed it!  The smell was coming from those slender little stalks covered in tiny little blooms.  When the sun goes down they release their scent.  Wonderful!

This year I'm going to throw some seeds in my pots along with my usual white alyssum and see how that works.  

The seeds can sometimes be hard to find.  Lilly Miller seeds usually has them.  I found mine this year at Fred Meyer.


All 45 shrubs are planted plus two evergreen.  Tomorrow I have 5 more pots to plant and manure to haul to the veggie garden.  If weather permits I'll be putting in my tomatoes, eggplant, onion sets, and start planting the gladiolas and seeds in the cutting garden.   In just a few more weeks the "heavy lifting" will be done.  Whew!!


See you tomorrow...

Here's to getting your week off to a happy start.  I dare you not to laugh...double dare!




6 comments:

Teri said...

Love the lilacs bordering the garden. I'm going to use that idea!

Anonymous said...

Your lilac bushes look so beautiful and healthy. I've wanting to get some for a long time. I have phlox lined up under my deck, and when they are in full bloom my patio smells wonderful. Be careful with the heavy work.

Adrienne said...

Teri - Lilacs make wonderful hedges. People don't realize they can be trimmed ever year as long as you do it right after blooming.

The ones around my cutting garden and veggie garden will get wacked way back in just a few weeks.

Adrienne said...

Rosie - too funny. I don't have any Phlox and you don't have lilacs. I want Phlox and you want lilacs. If you want to send your address to me I'll dig you up a bunch of starts and mail them to you.

I'm going Phlox shopping later this week. When I grew up (eons ago) everyone had Phlox. They smell wonderful!



email me at my regular address

adrienne at icehouse dot net

Susan said...

Hi Adrienne...Your lilacs, other flowers, and gardens are going to be so utterly gorgeous. Thanks for the scented stock seed tip. I wrote that down and I'm going to try to find them. Sincerely, Susan

MightyMom said...

I've noticed every time I go to work that the petunias in the beds at the hosp are wonderfully fragrant!! I love the easy petunias....maybe I need to overflow a pot with them.....