Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Garden Catalog Time

I love this time of year when it's rainy or snowy and the garden catalogs are filling the mailbox.  I'll be ordering more seeds than usual because my hubby built me a large cold frame last fall.

I love Oriental lillies because they smell so wonderful. This one is a must-have this year! It's called Nippon.
This is one of my Stargazer lilies from last year...
I have a fairly large cutting garden and I always plant lots of gladiolus to keep vases filled in the house.
There is never a very good assortment of tomato plants at the nurseries or big box stores so I like to start my own.
Some of last years tomatoes with some fresh basil...
I love iris too...
 
  
  I'll start seeds in the house in just a few weeks and move to the cold frame in April.  I have mostly perennials.  My daylily business doesn't allow a lot of time for fussing over annuals.  The annuals I do have are mostly in pots.  Petunias are my favorite standby because they smell so good.

How many of you start seeds?


4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Adrienne....I adore stargazers. Their fabulous fragrance can fill an entire room. Love glads, too. They are so colorful. Purple iris remind me of spring in the house of my childhood and of my dad who planted them. Love yellow daffodils, too. And one of my grandmothers used to grow huge white and deep pink peonies.Ohhhhhhh, it's so nice to think about spring, isn't it? Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

MightyMom said...

I have no luck with either seeds or bulbs. my best luck is with bulbs I buy at the store that are flowering, and then I stick them in the ground.

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Magnificent flowers!

Lori said...

My garden is some seeds. I often start some perinnial flowers from seed. I am working on growing some "lathyrus latifolius" or perinnial sweet peas. Once you get them going, they seem to live forever. But the starting them, well, it's a bit tricky in our climate! I try to add a couple more perinnials each year, and love bee balm and lab lab and morning glories.