Monday, October 25, 2010

It's raining, autumn work almost done, and some cheap pot (no - not that kind) tricks...

About the time I was ready to fall on my lips - it started to rain, which means I get a few days break from outside work.  Planted another 200 or so daylily divisions and we finished restructuring the cutting garden by widening the center path.  Hubby re-cut the wood edging to fit.  To show my gratitude I slapped a bunch of stain on the faded boards. He's happy!

Outdoor office with yet another pile of daylilies to be planted.  





Each year I bring in geraniums so I have cuttings in the spring to replant.  I cut them way back meaning by Christmas they will be grown back and blooming - an added bonus.  This year I wanted smaller pots and finding none in the potting shed I did a bit of shopping.  Everything was too expensive.


One of my other goals has been to use up all the half-full cans of spray paint that have accumulated.  Hmmmm - I have a gazillion ugly black nursery pots.  Wonder what's left in spray paint?  Olive green?  That will work.  I used up what was left of the green paint.

Bonus?  The pots fit on my window sills so they won't all be crammed in the dining room. 


Ewwwwwwwww.....what about those huge holes?


Your pot planting friend.  Coffee filters...


In the spring I'll take cuttings...



Within about a week they'll have lots of roots


Last year I ended up with about 125 geraniums to plant in my yard.  Savings?  About $250.00






My favorite is the variegated pink geranium...


Debra over at BODECI body has started a series of 40 days to Fit and Fabulous.  Head over if you haven't been there.  It's inspirational stuff! 



5 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Don't think I have seen a pink one like that - very pretty. We finally got some rain yesterday.

Susan said...

Wow Adrienne....You are a wonderful gardener. You have two green thumbs and 8 green fingers!

Thank you for all your visits to my blog, Adrienne, and your comments, too. Always love having you.

Hugs. Susan

BODECI body said...

Hi Adrienne,
First, thank you so very much for this wonderful planting expository. My husband just finished our (700 bucks at Costco but revised beautifully) green house and we put the potted tomatoes in, just to have a few more for the cooler months ahead.
Second, for your kind comment at the end of you post. I am glad to find it inspirational.
xox Deb

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, I love the idea of starting my own geraniums. Do you purchase a some plants in the spring, take your cuttings, and then allow them to root in water? I would love to give it a try.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Well now I never thought of painting those ugly black plastic pots...great idea, they look completely different. I like geraniums too, so bright and cheery; the varigated one is spectacular! (-: