Saturday, March 20, 2010

Minimalism vs Excess



While I enjoy visiting what I call "girlie" blogs, I also temper it by visiting some very good "minimalist" blogs.  I do that in order to keep perspective on the important things in life.  It's really ok to have collections.  I've certainly had my fair share over the years.  It's a fun diversion and can often lead into a career or a life-long hobby.  And surrounding yourself with pretty things is ok, too. It's part of what makes us human.  It's when we become attached to the "stuff'" of life that we become a bit off-kilter.  

I remember when my Mom dropped off all her china, silver, and crystal at my house eons ago.  She said, "Here - you take care of it for awhile."  I thought she had lost her mind.  Now that I am older, her reasoning seems perfectly sound. 

One way I practice detachment  to my "stuff" is by giving it away. Yep, you heard me correctly.  If someone comes to my house and absolutely loves some little decorative item, I give it to them.  I figure if they love it that much they should "take care of it for awhile." 

Becoming Minimalist is a blog I visit everyday.  Yesterday's post how to stop letting advertisers control your life is excellent. 
[...]the goal of Madison avenue is to increase our desire – to change our attitude from “that’s extravagant” to “that would be nice” to “I really need that” and finally to “I’ve got to have it.” They are so subtle at their craft that we hardly realize we are being brainwashed.  Subconsciously, they take control of our desires, our checkbooks, and our life. read the rest

Zen garden at Dartington

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hello Adrienne...Yep, you are right. We cannot become TOO attached to "things." Still love 'em though. I almost never buy anything new but I suppose that doesn't really matter. We have to practice constraint whether things are new or not. So thanks for the post. Hope your day goes splendidly. Sincerely, Susan

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, I was happy to read your post. I agree with you 100%. We become slaves to our "THINGS", if we do not use caution. I know that I've really gotten rid of a lot of my pretty things because I've tired of dusting them, and moving them, and deciding how to display them. I try to just stick to a few basic items.

I've also tried to instill in my children that when you own something, you have responsibilities to that thing -- you have to wash it, keep it safe, insure it, make sure that there is no damage to it, have it appraised, etc., etc. The price you pay is much higher than the initial price tag. It is the valuable price of our time.

Can you tell that I feel rather passionate about this subject? Too bad it took me 40 years to learn... I hope your message gets through to some of the younger bloggers!

In the words of Janice Joplin, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." We must not allow ourselves to be owned by what we enjoy.

MightyMom said...

you know. there's too many rocks in that zen garden...surely you could do with fewer rocks right?

;-)